Douglas Smith | Writer

Hi! Thanks for visiting. I'm an award-winning author of fantasy, SF, horror, supernatural, and the ever popular "undefinable" and have been published in thirty countries and twenty-five languages.

I'm a three-time winner of the Aurora Award and a finalist for the John W. Campbell Award, the juried Sunburst Award, the CBC Bookies award, and France's juried Prix Masterton and Prix Bob Morane.

My website is and I tweet at

Uncle Silas

Uncle Silas - Victor Sage, Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu Written in the late 19th century with a prose style that modern readers may struggle with, this is still an engrossing read. The main character of Maud is likeable throughout, but many readers may not forgive her willingness to constantly ignore her suspicions as more evidence of the danger she faces grows and grows. Still, it's difficult not to keep reading, and the climax is a definite page turner. A warning to those who know Le Fanu's other works such as Carmilla -- this is *not* a vampire story or a supernatural tale in any way. It's a gothic suspense, complete with a locked room mystery.

The Scottish Banker of Surabaya